Sunday, April 14, 2024

Movie: The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)

What I knew about The Postman Always Rings Twice before viewing is that it is based on a play (actually it is based on a 1930s book written by pulp author, James M. Cain). It was adapted for the screen by David Mamet, who wrote some well-known stuff in the 80s and 90s. 
This movie is a noir set in 1930s LA County. A drifter falls for the wife of the owner of a road-side service station. Together they plot the owner's death and after they are successful, there is a mind-blowing insurance investigation. Then the story continues in such a way that is difficult to sum up here, so I won't. Let me just say that this is an interesting, odd, quirky, strange and erotic roller coaster of a story. 
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get from this movie, but I must say that I did enjoy it and I was engage throughout. I would recommend this for film buffs or anyone wanting to experience a perplexing story.  The title is never explained. 

I watched this 8/29/2020, on a DVD checked out from my local library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Even my own.