Friday, November 20, 2015

Movie: Beasts of No Nation (2015)

Idris Elba plays a supporting role next to the AMAZING, Abraham Attah. Attah's acting made this feel like a documentary. Like you were a fly-on-the-wall of this boy’s life. If he isn’t nominated for any awards, that is a sure sign this year will be another Oscar crock.
The story: A boy named Agu sees his family torn apart during a civil war and he flees into the arms of an army of child soldiers, led by an exploitative adult comandant in an effort to aid the rebel side take over the country.

There were some interesting visual effects in this movie. I’m particularly interested in talking to the director about the scenes where flashlight and spotlights were used. I thought they can somehow all be tied together. And also the use of coloring, literally painting a scene and setting the tone. 

I might need some more time to digest this, but as of now, I give this movie four stars ****.

I want to see it, again. I thought the acting, everyone’s performance, was amazing and I’m so intrigued by this film’s feel, as well as, look. 

1 comment:

  1. I watched this after reading your review. This was such a good movie. It did feel like I was watching a documentary. The camera felt as if it were just along for this insane ride and never felt intrusive. Loved the use of long shots following folks through areas. The tone was also good because though it was a bleak topic it did not feel like a depressing movie.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Even my own.