Monday, June 19, 2023

TV: Behind Her Eyes (2021)

I heard about this show on a podcast and thank goodness, they didn’t say anything except watch it until the end. I’m glad I listened.
Behind Her Eyes comes off as one of those shows where people, usually women, make a series of decisions showing bad judgement, or being too nice, crossing their own boundaries. Other than the disclaimer to watch to the end, there was some other intrigue that hooked me along through the whole series.
It was worth waiting until the end. I really enjoyed the show. Good writing. Good production. Good acting. This was a Netflix original, British and has some speculative elements. Things I like.

Spoiler below. I’m warning don’t read until you watch.**********
The end was a mind-blowing reveal, which I still won’t spoil (for you greedy readers!) But I love, love, love the dip in the speculative fiction pool! Astral travel?! Wasn’t that fascinating and amazing? I would never participate because of all the possible terrifying situations pointed out in this very series! The dumbest part of this show was when she decided to astral travel into the house, which was on fire, instead of calling 999 for help. What can you do during an out of body experience to help someone in a burning building?
When you take over another person’s body, you lose access to all “institutional knowledge” and have no idea how to care for that body. I thought it was pretty unrealistic that a White person occupying a Black woman’s body would have any clue about how to do her hair, so it should have been a mess or at the very lease an ugly, messy bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Even my own.