Sunday, September 27, 2015

Movie: Blood Ties (2013) ***


When you get to the bottom of it,  Blood Ties is a movie about brotherhood, regret and redemption. The movie starts out like a out of control fire hose spraying all kinds of plot lines and character stubs all over the place.  The production of the first half created a staccato feeling and didn't give the audience a chance to really get to know the characters or story. Unfortunately, due to poor character development, you don't really get a good sense of why Chris (Clive Owen's character) jumps into the deep end of crime after only a couple of set-backs in trying to succeed in a non-criminal line of work. You also miss out on why Zoe Saldana's character all of a sudden changes her mind about Frank (Billy Crudup's character). Finally, about halfway through the film, what I'm supposed to care about comes through. It felt like the director was swapped out mid-shoot.

 And accents all over the place! Clive Owen can never really tuck that accent between his legs and the French speakers, Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts, couldn't cover themselves either.

I'm giving Blood Ties three stars *** because it wasn't bad, especially if you can hang out past the mid point and I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again, but I will probably never seek it out on my own.

I watched this on Amazon Video.

1 comment:

  1. I told you that I couldn't make it past the first twenty minutes of this. Maybe I'll give it another try randomly one night.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Even my own.