Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Movie: Spotlight (2015)**

Remember... Doubt (2008) or Sleepers (1996)? Well, Spotlight is a different angle from the same story, this one strictly from the press' point of view.

Spotlight told the story of a special investigative team in Boston exposing the scandal of the Catholic Church's (and the system that supports it) knowledge of abusive priests. This story was told well. The production and soundtrack set a somber mood. The script and actors portraying these real people  didn't create caricatures; They're performances had a sense of truth and reality, and the dialogue was moving.  

Best scene: The team finds evidence against the Cardinal and Mike (Mark Ruffalo) gets angry they aren't going to press with it. Mark Ruffalo does a great job in this movie.

Special mention: Librarian montage!

That being said, I don't see this as a Best Picture and I don't really have to ever see it again.  I gave it two stars **, but the doggone movie won the Oscar for Best Picture!

Oscars:
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Best Writing, Original Screenplay

Golden Globes:
Best Motion Picture - Drama
Best Director - Motion Picture
Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

I watched a screener of this movie.

1 comment:

  1. Still surprised that it won for best picture. Both of us were like "Um...okay. I guess." It was a good film but its not something that I would watch over and over but I am glad that I watched it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Even my own.