Friday, March 4, 2016

Movie: Straight Outta Compton (2015)****

Remember: The Five Heartbeats (1991), That Thing You Do (1996)

What happens: Straight Outta Compton is about how the Los Angeles-based, rap group, NWA, got together and how they parted ways.

SOC is a beautifully shot film with some notable acting. I thought it captured Compton and what it must've been like for NWA to get straight out of it and how that affected them in a way that is easy for everyone to understand. I really enjoyed the soundtrack, too.

Favorite scene: The first time we see them in the studio is when they're trying to record that group HBO. It doesn't work out and they try to step to pre-NWA Dre and the crew, but are intimidated out. Then, Eazy gets in the booth (click here to watch). Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

It should have been nominated for Best Picture at least Jason Mitchell (Eazy-E) should have been nominated for his acting, although I thought O'Shea Jackson (Ice Cube and Corey Hawkins (Dr. Dre) were notable, too.

I grew up in L.A., too, but I had no idea about NWA or most of the happenings depicted in the film. I was a kid and all of this was really far from my sphere. I think that is part of why I like SOC: This movie gave me some info about things that happened in the past, but during my lifetime and certainly some insight about an area that I'm familiar with in the present day.

I want to watch this movie multiple times, so I'm giving it four stars****.

Link to the trailer that shows the awesomeness

I watched a screener of this movie.

1 comment:

  1. Contrary to your belief I did like this movie. I had sort of an opposite experience than you in that I grew up listening to NWA and knew so much of their history that the things left out or changed seemed odd and took me a bit out of the movie. I still believe they could have made this and not even have gotten to the group splitting.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Even my own.