Tuesday, March 15, 2016

TV First Impressions: Underground (2016)

I wasn't expecting much because this show is on WGN, but I heard an overview of the show with actor interviews on Morning Edition (click here) and that kind of piqued my interest. It wasn't until I talked to my aunt, who told me Chris Meloni is on the show, that I decided to give it a try. It's like the entertainment industry knows to tuck Meloni in it's giant pocket and not let me know until the last minute (or when I see him on screen) that he'll make an appearance. I'm not ashamed to say, the fact that a certain white man is cast on this show about rebellious slaves is what actually got me to watch the first episode!

I thought it was good and I'm going to watch episode 2, as well. It is beautifully shot and I had much respect for the acting, although I thought the slave-owning family characters were extreme stereotypes of what you'd expect of the "massa" and the "massa's wife." Also, some of the music seemed out of place and jarred me back to reality. Although I get what they're trying to do with the music, I hope they don't let juxtaposing new with the old overtake the good storyline they've started. Hopefully the storyline can hold up past the first episode, which had some good twists in it. Looking forward to more!

I watched this online at the WGN America site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Even my own.